If you’re one of many families preparing for a photo session with your children this fall, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. If you're stressed and cranky, your kids may pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter's hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won't sit still. Focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to do what they want, like a silly face photo. Your photographer will keep them happy and in the age of digital, these can be deleted or your photographer may present them in a gallery to make the kids remember the fun session! This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. If you're going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. Allow ample time for kids to wake up if they tend to fall asleep in the car. Do the kids sweat easily? Bring a towel or two (one wet in a baggie and one dry works great!) You never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so might as well bring that along too! And a back up outfit is never a bad idea, especially if you have anyone in the family that has car sickness!
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. A forced smile aren't always the best smiles, so just try and have fun and work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give your photographer a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions. Many babies can even sing "If You're Happy and You Know It!" and kids love to talk about Halloween Costumes and things they want for Christmas!
Shannon Anderson Photography is a maternity, newborn, child and family photographer in the Charlotte and Lake Norman areas of North Carolina. Shannon specializes in studio newborns and has a home studio in Mooresville, NC available for newborns and young children and travels around the Lake Norman and Charlotte areas of North Carolina for outdoor and lifestyle sessions. To book a session please contact Shannon at email@example.com