Fall...one of the busiest times of year for photographers and it's not surprising since the weather tends to be perfect, not too cold and not too hot and how can you not love the beautiful fall colors when the leaves change color! If you are planning on a session this fall, here are some tips to make your photo session go smoothly.
1. Dress warmly and use layers. You will be surprised at how often this is overlooked. Since you’ll be standing outside and not moving around a ton (unless you have a toddler, then you may be on the move!), short sleeves, thin fabrics, and open toe shoes will not be comfortable for very long. Shivering makes it hard to look happy, pose properly and having blue lips doesn't make for a cute picture! Children tend to get cold quickly, so if it's going to be chilly, stay in the car until it's session time! Blankets are always a fun to use in sessions as you can snuggle up or wrap up a baby! Don't be afraid to bring a cute coat, sweater, gloves and a hat for later in the session if anyone is chilly!
2. Watch the weather. Have options for what to wear! I've only lived in North Carolina for 2 years but fall can be in the upper 80s or lowers 60s and temperatures can be drastically different one day to the next! Warmer days may seem more pleasant but being fall, it's ok to toss on a sweater and bundle up! If it ends up being a warm day, bring some ice water and a towel to blot off sweat (everyone sweats!) If it's going to be cold, bring a blanket to warm up during the session or after the session in the car and have tissues available since cold weather often leads to runny noses!. Bring some hot cocoa or hot apple cider along to keep warm or grab some on the way home - this is a great bribes for children since it's often a special treat.
3. Be flexible. Unfortunately, photographers cannot control the weather and odds are unless it's raining the session will go on as planned. Fall is a busy season, so most photographers don't have a lot of flexibility to reschedule if the weather is less than perfect. Yes, a beautiful golden sunset is always pretty, but clouds are a photographers best friend especially if your session isn't at sunset. Don't be disappointed if the weather isn't exactly as you planned.
4. Incorporate color. Even though fall has some amazing colors to work with, why not wear a splash of color to really pop in your photos? For example, beautiful shades of blues and purples look amazing amongst crunchy brown leaves. Even if you add some color with a jewelry or a scarf it adds a little color pop! Of course, neutrals, like cream, works year round as it pops against the outdoor colors. If you are still unsure of what to wear, check with your photographer for help!
5. Plan your day. Sessions are typically scheduled during golden hours, so roughly 1 hour before the sunsets for beautiful lighting. Mini sessions can be earlier in the day but times are limited so if this interferes with your day to day routine, be sure to adjust your schedule for this one day. I know parents are very concerned with changing up children's naps and going to bed later than normal, but in my years of being a photographer, I haven't run into a problem when parents make a little adjustment for the one day. If your child will nap in the car, be sure to allow ample time before your session for them to fully wake up and adjust to being in a warm car to a cool outside.
I tell my clients the hardest part of a session is selecting what to wear. After that, just show up on time, or early, have fun and get ready for some beautiful results!
Shannon Anderson Photography is a maternity, newborn, child and family photographer in the Charlotte and Lake Norman areas of North Carolina. Shannon specializes in studio newborns and has a home studio in Mooresville, NC available for newborns and young children and travels around the Lake Norman and Charlotte areas of North Carolina for outdoor and lifestyle sessions. To book a session please contact Shannon at email@example.com
10/27/2016 12:24:00 pm
Great tips!! Love the new site!
11/2/2016 09:34:57 pm
11/1/2016 10:40:40 am
Shannon, I adore the new site! I've given up on learned to photograph well - I can't compete with your amazing skills! The re-brand is perfect for you and your style! Can't wait to see the amazing fall and winter pix to come!
11/2/2016 09:34:39 pm
Thank you Justina! I love teaching so hopefully you can make it to one of my classes!
11/1/2016 02:06:29 pm
Some great advice!! And I love the new logo!
11/2/2016 09:35:21 pm
Thanks Cassie! Looking forward to our session next week!
11/1/2016 03:34:49 pm
Love your website, the tips are great for everyone.
11/2/2016 09:35:56 pm
11/1/2016 07:19:22 pm
11/2/2016 03:59:45 pm
Great tips! We had family photos done last fall and loved the colors. We'd love to have a new set done this year too!
11/2/2016 09:37:08 pm
Amanda, please let me know if you'd like to set up a session! I have very limited available for 2016 but can get you in for a mini this weekend or later this month! Thanks!
11/2/2016 08:51:32 pm
I love your new website and the name change! Great tips for fall photos.
11/2/2016 09:37:24 pm
11/8/2016 12:43:03 pm
Great tips and new site! We need to come back for a session in 2017 😉
11/13/2016 09:12:17 pm
awesome tips!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
12/1/2016 07:54:04 pm
You're work is beautiful! I'd love to win a chance to have you photograph my little family off 3 for Christmas. We honestly can't afford it this year so it would be a wonderful gift!
12/22/2016 07:06:00 pm
Super helpful tips for fall! Can't wait for my session with you!
1/3/2017 10:39:28 pm
Such beautiful art and an incredible eye for detail <3 all of your work
1/9/2017 10:53:34 pm
I love your work and great tips! It's obvious that you really know what you're doing. I con't wait for our session with you!
3/21/2017 06:03:37 pm
Love tip number three!
11/15/2022 03:19:30 pm
Thank never support watch fast drop. Character experience address.
Leave a Reply.